Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sorta Settling In

And, again... I am here blogging on a Sunday. It's the perfect day to do it. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and missing home right now. It's late November, and normally, in Busan, the weather is clear and no colder than 50. But, today it's rainy, windy, cold and overcast. Hmmm, sounds like the winters in Seattle. So, I'm sporting my Seattle U sweatshirt, I would be wearing purple and gold very proudly, but I failed to bring any UW sweatshirt to Korea. Congrats on the shut out Dawgs! This last week was Thanksgiving, and I was planning on heading up north to Seoul to celebrate with friends, but that didn't happen- too much planning involved in a too short of time. So, I made do and on Thursday, some American co-workers came over to my new apartment and we ate mashed potatoes and drank Hite (the much loved domestic beer). Turkey is near impossible to find in Korea, so there was no attempt to cook some, let alone search for it in the supermarket.

I finally have moved into my apartment, and made it a bit more "homey." I'm enjoying the location. Although I am no longer o
n the beach, I am surrounded by everything I need. I live in Jangsan; a district of Haeundae in Busan. It's great- it's a 2 minute walk to w
ork, a 5 minute walk to the supermarket and there are coffee shops, boutiques, rest
aurants, and bars al
l within a 2 block radius of my high-rise. Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and bought some Christmas lights t
o lighten up my place... I think it looks a lot better.

Working a full time job on the other side of the world takes
a little getting used to. Everything is done at the last minute here, and the Korean culture is
big on 'saving face' or lying to please. So, employers will tell you one thing but something completely different will happen. It is so, so different than the states. But, it makes for a very interesting experience and I'm attempting
to become much more flexible... which I'm sure will help me in the long run.

Below, I've posted more pictures of my place. Enjoy and I always look forward to the comments left. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear from you tonight (for me). Your apartment sounds and looks nice. The view is spectacular! Keep up the good work and enjoy every little adventure and exploration. Peace, Abbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome view! I love the place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lights and flowers in your room! Gorgeous.. and want to come and see it for myself!

    ReplyDelete