Monday, January 18, 2010

Dear time, please slow down.


Time will not stop speeding. I guess that's a good thing- I'm enjoying myself here. I'm making memories, friends, money and gaining lots and lots of experience. One thing I need to start doing more is writing down all that I encounter. At the time, I say to myself, "well Abbie, you can't possibly forget this... why write it down?" And then, boom, I forget. So, step one this week- start writing things down. I brought a journal, and it's a quarter of the way full, but I intend on filling more than one while I'm here. I'm discovering so many new things, meeting so many new people and seeing things I never thought I'd see. So, I need to document, or poof... everything will be gone before I know it.
To jump start my new intentions, I'm writing again to tell all of you (a hand full of friends and a bucket full of my mom's friends that read this) an over view of my time here, in Korea. I haven't written in almost a month, so there's a lot to catch you up on. Basically, I've been super busy with work, molding young minds and improving my own. Other than that, I try to explore a little bit each weekend. New Year's was a blast. I enjoyed the extra day off. And January has treated me fairly well. Intensive classes are a bit stressful an annoying. And on top of extra classes, I have had a pretty intense cold since the beginning of the year. I always ignore being sick- I feel as though it is mind over matter when it comes to small health issues. Just pretend, you're fine, and you will be... right?? With that said, I pretended to be well this last weekend so I could see Mara and Amelia. It was worth it. They came down from Seoul to enjoy a weekend in my "hometown." We had a blast. Explored the city and strolled along the beach. We got Mexican food and met the entire Seoul University building body team on the streets of Busan. Without hesitation, I can say it is always an amazing time with those two- refreshing and fun. They have this sense of spontaneity that I need to adopt. They approach random people on the street just to take pictures with them, make jokes with store owners and flirt with bartenders for free drinks. Bottom line: I had a blast with them.
As for cultural experiences, I'm attempting to indulge myself as much as I can with the small amounts of time I am given in between work and sleep. Korea has turned me into a 14 year old girl again- pop music and the boys that sing it make my knees weak. I feel as if I am in line, waiting for a new cd by 'NSYNC every time I turn on the TV and see a famous Korean singer. I am slightly obsessed. One of my favorite groups is called BigBang. Feel free to jump over to Youtube.com and check them out! I'm also slowly gaining a larger Korean vocabulary. I'll soon be taking lessons- and I am very excited. I will let you know how that goes, once I start. In addition, the girls and I went to "fish doctor." Which, my mother informed me, costs $40 in the states. BUT in Korea, it's only about $1.85!!! Plus, all you can eat pastries- can't get much better than that.
That's about all for now... I will try my best to continue to write down my experiences and document them with the camera. Cheers from Korea ^^
행복한 일
-Abbie

3 comments:

  1. Too cute! Glad you're having so much fun. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbie, Dear! It's great to hear that you're learning so much and having adventures with Mara. Your class is a very cute bunch, and each of them probably have a higher IQ than me. Keep enjoying! I might stay in India longer than expected, so I'll be sure to let you know what my plans are. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just so darn awesome.
    You are such a good writer and you're capturing the random thoughts so well.
    Documenting even the little stubs from the subway or the beer coasters and quick photos of friends, etc. are just some ways to capture the moment and memories, wtihout always writing it down.
    It does take work.
    Lucky kids who have the energy and creativity of YOU!

    ReplyDelete